The gitm Foundation
– maintains over 80 raised garden beds
– conducts research
– operates a CSA
– hosts the only Food Recovery program (Good Food Recovery) in our community focused on prepared food and fresh produce
– conducts nutrition education (we call it Sweet Peas!) geared towards the under served
Your contribution helps to keep these projects moving.
Join us in growing urban agriculture in the heart of Peoria
Our hope is to plant the foundation of a sustainable, economically sound, resident owned, agricultural market for the community. The Urban Agriculture Apprenticeship program helps to create the skills and experiences required to build the local food system from within the community.
Cost of training, resources and market for each apprentice is 2,500. Our goal is 20 apprentices in the program which starts February, 2018. Any contribution is accepted and will go towards offsetting the cost of this training.
Your contribution will help provide each Adult Urban Agriculture Apprentice with:
1. 70 hours of classroom education on the fundamentals of urban growing in both produce and floral markets, State of Illinois Food Handler certification and business planning development.
2. Over 35 hours of direct 1:1 mentoring with seasoned local small growers for superior training experience.
3. Dedicated space for growth and harvest at the new Stormwater Farm site where over 100 raised beds will be constructed for urban agriculture.
4. Free weekly urban farmer’s market vendor space for sale of their product. Each apprentice retains 100% of all proceeds from their individual sales.
5. Sales agreements will be made for additional sales through Community Supported Agriculture programming and wholesale markets.
6. Ability to join future urban agriculture producer co-op for full ownership over land, business plan, product, sales and contracts.